DMD workforce contribution

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Nov 7 01:51:57 PST 2011

On 11/7/2011 1:19 AM, Gor Gyolchanyan wrote:
> I'm not quite familiar with DMD's internals, so the best answer would
> be "whatever is more important to do".

I take it you want to work on DMD itself, then!

1. Making shared libraries under Linux work would be a big improvement.

2. Another would be to investigate the Dwarf symbolic debug outfit and make
dmd's output work well in gdb.

3. Run the dmd test suite under Linux with gcc's coverage analyzer turned on.
Add test cases to cover dmd source code that is not tested.

4. There are many static analyzers on the market. Try compiling dmd with one or
more of them, and propose fixes.

5. Go through the Bugzilla unresolved issues, pick what interests you, and
propose patches to fix them.

6. Investigate popular benchmarks (such as the "shootout"). Compare the native
code generated by dmd with that of C or C++, and identify inefficient code
sequences.

7. Install NetBSD or OpenBSD, and port dmd to them.