std.datetime is too big

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon Nov 7 04:22:24 PST 2011

On 2011-11-07 11:53, Regan Heath wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 09:20:55 -0000, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2011-11-05 19:33, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>>> The number one thing that _I_ would like to see which would make
>>> std.datetime
>>> much easier to digest would be for ddoc to be fixed so that the
>>> anchors that it
>>> generates actually represent the code's hierarchy. For instance,
>>> right now,
>>> the year functions for Date, DateTime, and SysTime all get the exact
>>> same
>>> anchor - #year - so you can't link to each individual function. It
>>> needs to
>>> be generating anchors more along the lines of #Date.year,
>>> #DateTime.year, and
>>> #SysTime.year. That way, I could organize the links at the top of the
>>> documentation and make it so that they're actually informative and
>>> help you
>>> understand the module instead of confusing you.
>>>
>>> - Jonathan M Davis
>>
>> I think that the jump-to list should only refer to top level elements
>> and not methods inside classes.
>
> Then, the top level elements could have (collapsible) jump-to lists for
> their members.

I think it should depend on the type. I don't see a need for enum
members in the jump-to list. Possible not struct/class fields either.
Take a look at this for example:
http://d-programming-language.org/phobos/std_net_isemail.html

The useful functions and types are lost in the jump-to list consisting
mostly of enum members.

> The M$ style for documentation is quite easy to use/navigate. They tend
> to restrict themselves to a single class per page, for example:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.net.sockets.tcpclient.aspx

C# and especially Java have only one class per file, this is not the
case for D and certainly not for Phobos.

--
/Jacob Carlborg