Type Qualifiers and Wild Cards

Don nospam at nospam.com
Wed Nov 9 05:28:03 PST 2011

On 09.11.2011 00:57, bearophile wrote:
> Walter:
>
>> The whole "too many keywords" issue strikes me as strange. English has over a
>> million words in it. Who cares if a language uses 80 or 100 of them? What
>> difference can it possibly make? How can an extra 20 words pollute the million
>> word namespace (and not including any non-word identifiers (like inout))?
>
> I agree. This is also why I have suggested "auto_ref" instead of "auto ref", that I think is a bit confusing.

"auto ref" is something we should *really* get rid of. Because it isn't
'auto'.

There should be a symmetry between:

auto     --- const
auto ref --- const ref

But there isn't. The correct patten is:

auto     --- const
ref      --- const ref
auto ref --- const auto ref

And note that auto const ref is not the same as const auto ref.

I'd be happy with auto_ref or autoref or pretty much any sequence of
characters that doesn't contain " auto ".