RFC curl

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Wed Nov 9 21:37:59 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Kapps <Kapps at notvalidemail.com> wrote:

> Windows is generally a place where people expect to not have to go and
> install other external packages for things like this, but rather have it
> bundled with the installer (zip in this case). Whereas on Linux, you could
> just use your package manager to install the libraries, for Windows, you'd
> have to actually find the website, find the library, possibly compile it
> (difficult on Windows), implib/coffimplib it (something which has little to
> no documentation and is very hard for new people to figure out, and
> something I had a LOT of problems with trying to figure out originally; it
> doesn't even come with DMD), and finally link it and hope for the best. It
> would be MUCH better and simpler to just include it in the zip for Windows.

I agree.  Python's "batteries included" style approach is a huge boon.  The
number of users who would need a different version than the one included
pales in comparison to the productivity gains of including it.  People who
need a different version can just replace it themselves.  We could also
just make the installer give the user a choice of installing it or not.