Python vs D [ was Re: Bartosz about Chapel ]

Caligo iteronvexor at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 19:06:06 PST 2011

> Without a properly financed and orchestrated marketing campaign to push
> D out there to the C, C++ and Fortran crowd and/or a group of people who
> could be the "killer audience", and then for there to be serious take
> up, D remains a 10+ year old niche experiment with no mainline future.

That's like going back 20 years and telling Linus "without a properly
financed and orchestrated marketing campaign to push Linux out there..." ,
you get my drift.

Money and marketing are important, specially when you are developing
a proprietary system.  You can have a shit product, but with enough
marketing you can make people believe it's not shit; Microsoft has done it,
same with Sun and Java.

If D fails, it's not because of lack of money or marketing, but because of
lack of a healthy and growing community.  A healthy community is what all
successful open source projects have in common.  Moving to Github was a
step in the right direction, but it's not enough, and the people in charge
don't seem to have a clue as to how to build a community.  How many new
developers have joined the development of D/Phobos in the last year?  I bet
very few.  They haven't even fixed the link to that old site, and it's been
like that for far too long.

Where is "D/Phobos Developer's Guide" page?