Bartosz about Chapel

Tobias Pankrath tobias at pankrath.net
Fri Nov 11 01:51:31 PST 2011

Russel Winder wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 01:39 -0800, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> On Friday, November 11, 2011 09:34:07 Russel Winder wrote:
> [...]
>> > Why don't they get turned into tickets such that work can be scheduled?
>>
>> He creates tons of them (both bug reports and enhancement requests).
>> Probably a third of the reports in bugzilla come from him (maybe more;
>> someone tallied it a few months back, but I don't remember the exact
>> percentage). They can't possibly all be addressed. And many of his
>> requests involve major changes that have no chance of happening. He'd
>> stand a much better chance of getting some of his ideas implemented if he
>> just focused on a few of them, but the sheer number of them means that
>> there's no way that very many of them are going to be implemented,
>> regardless of their merit.
>
> Ah, OK.  So exactly the opposite of my original surmise.  Sadly a
> surfeit of effectively useless reports is worse that too few.

But how is bearophile going to know, which of his ideas are good and bad,
if he doesn't share them?

I'd say, the core dmd devs (or bearophile himself) should rank the reports
or mark them "won't fix" after discussion.

After all an issue tracker is for keeping track of issues, that are not to
be solved right now. It's like saying "you shouldn't report all this bugs,
because we don't have enough developer to fix them.".