Bartosz about Chapel

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Fri Nov 11 04:44:10 PST 2011

Am 11.11.2011, 10:06 Uhr, schrieb SimonM <user at example.net>:

> On 2011/11/11 02:20 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> You're also free to add the following to your code:
>>
>> alias byte int8;
>> alias short int16;
>> alias int int32;
>>
>> If you feel it improves your code, go for it.
>
> I *almost* wish I could say:
>
> alias size_t int;

I know I wrote this before, but I can't hold back now *g*. I use:

alias size_t ℕ;

I think on the move to 64-bit, the native machine word data type (which
was uint de facto), got left behind a little. size_t is not a keyword and
it has an _ in its name. I don't know why _ type names look so odd to me.
It feels like using some very *special* type, not meant for every day use.
So I went for ℕ bound to AltGr+N in private code.