[OT] education system [was: Bartosz about Chapel]

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Fri Nov 11 06:04:25 PST 2011

Am 11.11.2011, 13:37 Uhr, schrieb Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a>:

> In my school experience (both high school and college), the students who
> were well versed in and heavily focused on rote regurgitation were
> consistently the ones with the best grades, and the ones who where
> therefore
> considered to be "smart" even though they couldn't have reasoned to save
> their lives. That *needs* to change.

I believe this is understood and deliberate and even more diverse. In
Bavaria/Germany the rule of thumb for tests is:

reproduction (20%) - Learning years and formulas
reorganization (40%) - Still learned knowledge, but with changed
parameters. In history, from the European colonies in Africa, create a
ranking of European influences in Africa
transfer (30%) - Apply a learned method to a new field and knowing which
method will lead to the goal. For example, knowing the details and
backgrounds of the French revolution, you can appraise why another one
failed.
new field (10%) - Find a solution in a new field, just from facts given in
the test itself.

You see, it is all put into laws and regulations. You get test with 40%
questions that require some sort of reasoning. :)