Python vs D [ was Re: Bartosz about Chapel ]

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Nov 11 07:51:42 PST 2011

"Russel Winder" <russel at russel.org.uk> wrote in message
news:mailman.869.1321025163.24802.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 15:27 +0100, Marco Leise wrote:
>[...]
>> Just as a historical anecdote: The Delphi inventor (Anders Hejlsberg)
>> switched to Microsoft and was a co-inventor of .NET. Besides Delphi.NET
>> there are Eiffel, Mercury, IronPython, Nemerle, Oberon ... you name it.
>> Maybe I didn't understand what you mean by shedding, though :)
>
>For example IronPython and IronRuby were projects funded by Microsoft
>and languages officially blessed by them for use on .NET.  Microsoft
>have now terminated funding, and said to anyone using IronPython or
>IronRuby "ok folks you are now on your own, go away".

I think it's a good idea, anytime you have official blessing/funding from
big business (even if it's an internal project), or heck, anytime you have
*any* heavy reliance on some company big or small, to assume the possibility
that status could go away at any minute. I don't mean this as a jab at
either big business or any sanctioned projects like IronPython/Ruby, it just
seems to be the nature of things: Sometimes a company will loose interest in
something, or even flip 180, at the drop of a hat.

It's not just MS. Apple caught flack for doing that with Darwin (from what
I've heard, anyway). Paint Shop Pro was (accidentially or deliberately, I
don't know) driven into the ground when Corel bought JASC. I'm sure there's
lots of other such stories with other companies.

For good reasons or not, it just happens sometimes. It's great to be able to
take advantage of some outside help when it's available. But it's best to be
prepared (to whatever extent possible) for it to dissapear without warning,
just in case.

FWIW, a corrilarly to that (that I picked up from Joel on Software, IIRC,
and tend to agree with) is: Don't rely on externals for anything
mission-critical.