Review of Jesse Phillips's CSV Parser

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Nov 11 09:07:09 PST 2011

On Friday, November 11, 2011 15:25:29 Jesse Phillips wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 02:17:40 -0800, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > Actually, I'd argue that Row would be better than Record, since it _is_
> > a row in a table. Personally, I'd find it to be more immediately clear
> > that way. With Record, I have to figure out what the heck it is a record
> > of, whereas Row is immediately obvious in this context.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> It _is_ a record of data, just as much as it is a row in a table. The RFC
> I reference continuously refers to records and never even says "row."

Well, then you have a good argument for keeping it as Record. But spreadsheets
are tables of rows and columns, and a CSV file is a spreadsheet. Personally, I
find the term record overly vague and wouldn't use it for much of anything -
not to mention that it makes me think of the analog music device rather than
anything else. So, I don't particularly like the name Record. I wouldn't use
it in reference to a DB either. I'd use the term row there as well. But others
may not agree with me, and if the RFC uses the term record, then that's a
definite argument for using Record instead of Row.

- Jonathan M Davis