Class inheritance bug

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Fri Nov 11 10:49:56 PST 2011

On 11/11/2011 11:00 AM, Tobias M. wrote:
> I did not want to use threads for mutile sockets. I wanted to have the main thread
> prompting the user for input with readln() and a new thread listening for incoming
> messages and printing them with writeln(). But ill have to see if that actually works.
>
> The problem here is not Threads but that whenever i extend a class i can´t compile
> my code. The OOP in D is simpy unneccesary and absolete if i can´t create
> subclasses. This has to be fixed.

It is not some kind of extreme showstopper bug that somehow nobody else
noticed, it is some specific issue you have with the toolchain.

Your code

import core.thread;
class Foo : Thread {
}
void main() {
}

Does not compile on my machine, it fails with

Error: constructor A.Foo.this no match for implicit super() call in
constructor

So
1. What version of DMD are you using and on what architecture/OS?
2. What is the actual code that gives a linker error?
3. How do you compile it?