ODBC component licenses

Steve Teale steve.teale at britseyeview.com
Fri Nov 11 10:58:26 PST 2011

> No. Deimos is for C headers which have been translated to D. What we're
> talking about here are modules which provide engines for Phobos'
> database framework. There will be modules for various databases -
> sqlite, postgres, etc. Those modules will be written in D using the API
> that the database framework requires, and they will _use_ C headers
> which were translated to D (possibly in Deimos), but they will not _be_
> such headers, so they're not part of Deimos. Whether they will end up in
> Phobos proper or not will depend on stuff like what licenses they have.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Jonathan,

Agreed, that's how I understand the situation, but it seems to be
increasingly clear that this is not sufficient. If there are to be easy
to use D components, Deimos should be a two-level thing, with the
translated headers in the lower layer, and the sort of stuff we've been
talking about in an upper layer.

The alternative for the database stuff is to do everything where there is
a licensing issue at protocol level. I think this is the way PHP has gone.

If I bit the bullet and did TDS, we'd be able to cover MySQL (protocol),
Postgres (I'm assuming their license is sufficiently liberal), SQLite (no
license), SQL Server (protocol), and SyBase (protocol).

At that point we could probably relax. Oracle, DB2, and whoever would
probably contribute components in time.

This is making my head hurt, especially taken with a dose of trying to do
a decent translation of ODBC header files to D!

Steve