[OT] Re: Bartosz about Chapel

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 13:58:50 PST 2011

Am 11.11.2011 22:03, schrieb Walter Bright:
> On 11/11/2011 12:33 PM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
>> Actually English speaking people tend to confuse "ei" and "ie" all the
>> time,
>
> Of course, since in German the second letter is pronounced, while in
> English the first is. I would imagine that Germans learning English
> would have the opposite problem.

In "Wiener" or "schießen" the "e" is not pronounced, it just stretches
the "i" (like in English "believe").
In "Scheißen" however, both are pronounced, but like "ehh-ihh" but
"ahh-ihh" (actually like the english "I" in "I suck at explaining the
German language").
I think in German either the first letter or both are pronounced (but
maybe there are counter-examples)

Cheers,
- Daniel