Digital Mars Website

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Nov 11 16:40:54 PST 2011

On Friday, November 11, 2011 16:58:33 Jude Young wrote:
> > I still think it would be great if we could unify it under the DPL
> > org. To a newcomer, the current state of things must look like
> > there's a pretty fragmented community...
> >
> > - Alex
>
> This comment, while slightly unrelated to what I am talking about,
> made me think.
>

> I was looking at digitalmars.com for a while, before that I figured
> out that it was horribly out of date
> and didn't accurately reflect anything in the D world.
>
> I came very close to assuming D was dead and going off to look at
> another language. (I was considering Go, But I hate the forced {} syntax)
>
> luckily I found some info on stackoverflow that showed me d-p-l.org.
>
> The main problems here are:
> Google results are digitalmars, wikipedia, d-p-l.  It would be better
> for newbies if it was immediately obvious that d-p-l is probably the
> place they want.
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/index.html  That is the first link on
> Google.  This page MUST either redirect directly to d-p-l, or have a
> note at the top mentioning that d-p-l is the place to go.
>
> Anything else in unintuitive and you will risk other people making the
> exact same mistake that I almost did.
>
> The D2 home is d-p-l.org, however the first thing anyone will see if
> digitalmars.  digitalmars links to nice websites like dsource.
> Dsource seems to be entirely dead.  I have looked, and I haven't found
> an up-to-date project there.  So the first thing we are showing people
> who might be interested is a out-of-date website and a seemingly dead
> project site. I wonder how many people were interested in D until they
> assumed that it was dead?
>
> I CAN'T be the only one who thinks that this is entirely retarded, and
> could end up being to death of this awesome language.

Walter made it so that links on digitalmars' home page link to d-programming-
languange.org, but for whatever reason he's left the entire rest of the D
portion of digitalmars.com intact. A few of the items there probably still
need to be moved to d-programming-language.org, but on the whole, it's
definitely a problem. People still find all that out-of-date D stuff through
links and bookmarks and the like, and they don't realize that that's not D's
official site anymore. I don't know what Walter's plans are with regards to all
that (I assume that he intends to do something about it), but thus far all
that's happened is the redirect on the front page, which is insufficient.

- Jonathan M Davis