How do I use DDoc?

Caligo iteronvexor at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 11:39:21 PST 2011

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 1:59 AM, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>wrote:

> On Saturday, November 12, 2011 01:54:48 Caligo wrote:
> > I'm about to go to bed and I can't keep my eyes open, so sorry if the
> > answer to this is obvious.
> >
> > I cloned '
> > https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/d-programming-language.org'
> and I
> > want to work on documentation.  I've read
> > http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/ddoc.html, but maybe I've missed it.
> >
> > 1. How do I get dmd to generate the HTML files from all those *.dd files?
> > I run 'dmd -Dddocdir *.dd' and it creates 'docdir' folder with bunch of
> > HTML files, but they are only a few KBs with no content.  What am I doing
> > wrong?
> >
> > 2. What are the *.ddco for?  Do they contain the predefined macros?  If
> so,
> > why are some of them missing than what's listed on that page?
>
> If you want to build d-programming-language.org, then use its makefile.
>
> make -f linux.mak
>
> or
>
> make -f win32.mak
>
> The generated files end up in ../web/, with the current HTML documentation
> in
> ../web/phobos-prerelease IIRC. You have to have the Phobos and druntime
> repositories as well, and I believe that they have to be in the same
> directory
> with the directory for d-programming-language.org.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

First I had to modify 'linux.mak' because I don't have a standard install
of DMD (DMD=/path/to/dmd/dmd2/linux/bin64/dmd).

I then ran:

make -f linux.mak

and it generates ../web directory with all the HTML files from all the *.dd
files. Plus, it gave bunch of errors and quit.  So, then I cloned Phobos
and druntime and put them in the same directory as
d-programming-language.org directory.  That didn't work because it seems
that it tries to actually compile Phobos, but right now the latest Phobos
doesn't compile, and it fails and gives errors.

So, I used the source that comes with the standard DMD release, and yes,
they have to be in the same directory as d-programming-language.org.  That
finally worked.

Thanks.