Bartosz about Chapel

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Nov 13 06:13:41 PST 2011

"Timon Gehr" <timon.gehr at gmx.ch> wrote in message
news:j9mtth$d26$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> What makes you think it is conceptually more complex? Most features that
>>> make D more expressive than C++ are conceptually very simple. And what
>>> is conceptually simple in D is usually also implemented in a simple way
>>> (as opposed to C++).
>>>

>> I think D's type system is more advanced and more detailed than C++ or
>> as any C derived language. This takes a while to grok. Of course, I
>> guess at the beginning one can program in D with only a subset of the
>> language.
>
> Ok, I see. Probably we are missing a nice tutorial about the type
> qualifiers (const/immutable/shared/inout) ?
>
> Or is there another type system feature that takes a while to grok?

I'd imagine D's type system might sometimes seem more complex than it is
simply because highly complex types involving fancy templates are used so
much more. And, of course, they're used more because D makes it so much
easier to use them.

And then, there's also complexities that are for the better. For example,
C++ AFAIK doesn't have IFTI. IFTI *is* an additional set of
rules/complexities *in the language*, but they're complexities that make the
language easier to use. SImilar thing with the implicit conversion rules for
primitive types: The rules for that are somewhat complicated, but they
usually make using the language easier and safer.