Bartosz about Chapel

Norbert Nemec Norbert at Nemec-online.de
Sun Nov 13 11:59:40 PST 2011

On 08.11.2011 05:40, Caligo wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 7:51 PM, bearophile<bearophileHUGS at lycos.com>  wrote:
>
>> Bartosz talks a bit about the very nicely designed Chapel language:
>>
>> http://bartoszmilewski.wordpress.com/2011/11/07/supercomputing-in-seattle/
>>
>> (But my appreciation for Chapel design is on other things).
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>>

> I haven't looked at Chapel in depth, but I would like to see sample code
> where it shows its generics is better than D's.

I am not quite sure, but I think this is the issue of "concept" (that
were discussed for and then dropped from C++11).

As I understand it, D does indeed offer the same functionality in the
form of template parameter constraints. Still, the formalism of template
constraints offers so much flexibility that it is difficult to ensure
clear error messages for the user while keeping the code clear and
simple as well.