Website message overhaul

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Mon Nov 14 01:29:28 PST 2011

On 11/14/2011 10:10 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 03:50:04 +0200, Andrei Alexandrescu
>
>> Walter and I have been working on the website for a while. We want to
>> crystallize a clear message of what the D programming language is.
>
> It's way too cheesy in my opinion. Reads like a desperate sales pitch.
> Also, too much text - right now it looks like an unappealing wall of text.
> Also, ads? Really? Are we so cheap that we can't even afford web hosting
> without annoying the user with often embarrassingly-irrelevant
> advertisements?
>
> Compare with other programming language websites:
>
> http://golang.org/

Very nice, but there is not really much more to say about Go (on a front
page), because it is so small.

> http://www.scala-lang.org/

I did not like this at all when I was first looking for information
about Scala.

> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/

It says "I (love|*love*) ruby" six times in a row. Cheesy enough =).

> http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/cambridge/projects/fsharp/

Same problem as scala-lang.org. Not enough interesting information/too
much effort to get at it.