Website message overhaul

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Nov 14 07:11:59 PST 2011

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:j9ps5n$30nq$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Walter and I have been working on the website for a while. We want to
> crystallize a clear message of what the D programming language is.
>
> Please take a look at http://d-programming-language.org/new/. The work is
> content-only (no significant changes in style, though collapsible examples
> and twitter news are a new style element).
>
> Feedback is welcome.

Haven't had a chance to read through it yet, but initial observations:

Con: Examples are never visible without JS. There is *no* good technical or
stylistic reason for that. Like I was just telling someone on D.announce, if
you need something collapsible, the way you do it is by leaving it
uncollapsed in the HTML/CSS. Then, if you really want JS users to see it
collapsed by default, you collapse it *via JS* upon page load. Or just make
use of the noscript tag. There is *never* any reason to do it any
differently than that.

Con: I don't think it's a good stylistic choice to have *no* sample code at
all on the main homepage without clicking. Put a good short snippet right
there for everyone to always see. Doesn't have to be anything fancy or
all-encompassing. You can look through other langauge's sites for
inspiration - it's quickly becoming standard practice for languages to have
a short example on their website's homepage. It's often not much more than a
hello world, just to get a little taste of the language.

Con: The little icons after external links are ugly and unnecessary. First
of all, this isn't a wiki. More importantly, if anyone actually cares what
links go to a different site, they can already tell that by hovering. If
you're doing it out of worry that people will think they're still on the
same site, well, that's *very* 1990's, and it was merely absurd paranoia
even back then. It's not much better than those god-awful sites that have
those rediculous and patronizing "you are now leaving our site" screens.

Con: While I don't have any objection to there *being* Kindle versions of
the docs, I strongly feel it doesn't deserve a place in the default sidebar.
Call it a matter of "pulling it's own weight". It's just not nearly
significant enough, and it's easy enough (and perfectly sufficient) to have
a link to the kindle version of the Book/Reference *on* the main page for
the Book/Reference. Besides, we're not an Amazon advertisement here.

Plus: I don't see this new twitface element people are talking about. Yes, I
realize *some* people like such sites, but that's no excuse for cramming it
down *everyone's* face. Again, we're not here to be twitface's free
advertising. So I like that whatever this new thing is isn't showing up.