Website message overhaul

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Mon Nov 14 11:04:12 PST 2011

> Walter and I have been working on the website for a while. We want to
> crystallize a clear message of what the D programming language is.
>
> Please take a look at http://d-programming-language.org/new/. The work
> is content-only (no significant changes in style, though collapsible
> examples and twitter news are a new style element).
>
> Feedback is welcome.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

  - From the first look at the page it's a big block of text with no
    code. Very off putting from a programming language home page.
     - My advise here would be to *just* show the key bullet points,
       click for more information.
  - It's covered in buzz words. Are you trying to appeal to managers or
    programmers?
  - "See example." is actually show/hide example, the text should
    reflect this.
  - Community
     - Maybe mention the IRC channel #D on freenode.
     - There's no need for the "Walter Bright" name-drop, particularly in
       a community section (Walter is not the community!)
  - Contribute
     - First thing I see is a bullet pointed list of compilers, DMD is
       not listed, perhaps the surrounding text needs to be re-worded
     - inconsistent capitalization of (C|c)ompiler
     - Definitely needs a "Fork us on github" banner of some sort

A key thing I find missing is code - the first thing I want to see when
I visit the home page of a new language is sample code.

My advise here would be to always have a code section on one side, then
have more information on the other, describing what the code is
demonstrating. Something like http://imgur.com/QL619 where the right
hand side would have code, the left hand side your 3 key points.

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/