Website message overhaul

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Nov 14 11:41:28 PST 2011

On 2011-11-14 01:50:04 +0000, Andrei Alexandrescu

> Walter and I have been working on the website for a while. We want to
> crystallize a clear message of what the D programming language is.
>
> Please take a look at http://d-programming-language.org/new/. The work
> is content-only (no significant changes in style, though collapsible
> examples and twitter news are a new style element).
>
> Feedback is welcome.

I kind of like it, the structure. I don't like the visual presentation
(but I understand that will come later). But most of all I think you're
being too wordy.

(I haven't read most of the thread yet, so sorry if I am just repeating
what others have said.)

Just take the three main points:

- Modern convenience
- Multi-paradigm power
- Native efficiency

That's all mixed up. Either use use these three *qualifiers*:

- Modern
- Multi-paradigm
- Native

Or these three *goals*:

- Convenience
- Power
- Efficiency

But matching each goal with a qualifier/feature makes things more
confusing. At least for me, it automatically raise a bullshit flag in
my head. Just answer this: why does the *multi-paradigm* feature bring
power specifically? Couldn't it bring efficiency or convenience instead
or in addition to power? How many ways could you combine words from
these two lists and it'd still mean the same thing?

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/