Website message overhaul

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Mon Nov 14 11:55:01 PST 2011

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 21:45:58 +0200, Andrei Alexandrescu

> There was more text on the page before, including a code example that
> wasn't very illustrative.

Most other front pages are still more varied and dynamic.
What happened with the ideas to have the latest commits / newsgroup topics
/ etc. in a box on the front page?

> Regarding ads, this is my "I told you" moment. I am completely opposed
> to ads anywhere on d-p-l.org, and I believe their presence hurts us in
> ways that the cost savings doesn't even begin to cover. I see it as a
> textbook case of "penny wise". That being said, Walter agreed with
> removing ads from the homepage but not the other parts of the site. I
> didn't get to that yet.

There's also a moral issue here. Except for the articles he's written,
Walter is basically monetizing the work of everyone who's contributed to
D. If it were just a matter of hosting, I'm sure there are many from our
community who would gladly provide it.

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net