Website message overhaul

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Nov 14 17:05:19 PST 2011

On 11/14/11 5:01 PM, Jeff Nowakowski wrote:
> On 11/14/2011 04:52 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>> Many newly-designed languages are wrapped around a single paradigm, and
>> they set a store by being so. D most assuredly and pointedly has
>> different take on that.
>
> As do languages like Go, C++, and Scala. "multi-paradigm" is "completely
> and fatuously generic", to use your words.

That doesn't seem the case to me at all. Multi-paradigm programming
language has a rather precise meaning - it's a language that allows
several of the classic programming styles (functional, object-oriented,
procedural, generic).

> This is *my* I told you so
> moment. How many different people have keyed in on this stupid buzzword?

Not a lot. At least in the circles I frequent it is acknowledged that
C++ is multi-paradigm (there's even a book with the phrase in the title)
and most other languages are not.

Andrei