Website message overhaul

Kapps Kapps at NotValidEmail.com
Mon Nov 14 18:18:30 PST 2011

> Walter and I have been working on the website for a while. We want to
> crystallize a clear message of what the D programming language is.
>
> Please take a look at http://d-programming-language.org/new/. The work
> is content-only (no significant changes in style, though collapsible
> examples and twitter news are a new style element).
>
> Feedback is welcome.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

I rather like the way it looks currently, but there are a few fairly
major issues:

There absolutely needs to be some sample code that shows off D's
capabilities. Ideally things like parallel loops and CTFE, but those are
likely too complex/big for something that should be small and simple.
The most important thing anyone looks at when looking at a language, is
sample code. The syntax and form speak a great deal about the language.
It is very important that they be able to see it the moment they get
onto the page (above the fold, without needing to click anything;
basically, above News).

There should be a very noticeable "Download Now" button on the page
itself, without having to look at the sidebar. Every time I go to
download DMD, it is always annoying trying to figure out where the link
is. Even more confusing the first time you do it. Ideally, it could
auto-detect your OS and send you to a download link directly for it, but
that starts becoming too dynamic and may be too much effort to detect in
a good way.

And some other less major issues:

News should contain a changelog link.

I really, really, do not like the on Kindle underneath Book and Language
Reference. Perhaps that could expand when clicked to specify
[physical|kindle] for Book, and [online|kindle] Language Reference?
Expanded by default, JavaScript collapses and then expands on click.

Having "See example." makes it sound like clicking the example will take
you to a new page, making the user not want to do so. As someone
mentioned, it should be Show example.

In my opinion, browse should use the archives. It at least provides a
threaded view, which is what someone just looking at the language would
want. Looking at peoples discussions on a new language and seeing a
bunch of "Re: Something" is not useful.