Website message overhaul

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Nov 14 19:40:01 PST 2011

On 11/14/2011 6:30 PM, Michel Fortin wrote:
> Personally I rather like Modern, Multi-paradigm, and Native. It's convenience,
> power, and efficency I'd rather remove, because they are fatuously generic (your
> words) and effectively dilute what you're trying to convey, at least when *I* read.

That's a good point.

> Beside, it should be telling that in each of your three descriptions above, you
> talked about what it meant being modern, you talked about single-paradigm
> languages, and about being native vs. VM. Nowhere did you mention convenience,
> power, and efficiency… perhaps because those are too generic or too implicit to
> talk about.

Yes.

Ted Neward once wrote an article where he complained that every single language
promoted itself as "improving productivity", rendering the term utterly
meaningless. It's like advertising Brand X Soap as "washes the dirt off!"

When people first look at D, they need a reason to want to look further, meaning
that there needs to be something there that immediately distinguishes D from
other languages - something that will pique their curiosity.