[OT] Re: Bartosz about Chapel

bcs bcs at example.com
Mon Nov 14 21:32:53 PST 2011

On 11/13/2011 12:07 PM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
> Am 12.11.2011 18:20, schrieb bcs:

>>> I (almost?) always use english variables, classnames etc, even though
>>> it's not my native tongue.
>>> And if I, for whatever reason, use non-english names I still stick to
>>> ascii.
>>> I just image that someone else will want to understand or modify my code
>>> and he may not speak my language
>>
>> Why do you assume they will know English?
>>

> It's taught in schools all over the world and almost anybody who
> programs can at least read english (you're screwed otherwise because
> documentation of languages and (standard-) libs, and the classes etc in
> libraries themselves are usually in english).
>
> Cheers,
> - Daniel

I've sat near conversations that were clearly in a language I didn't
know and where the subject at hand was just as easy to identify. You get
into a technical field and every third word is Geek no matter what the
other two are.

I want to put a sketch in a move: two professors walk into a room, have
a 10 minute heated argument about something and *then* notice they don't
have any natural language in common.