Website message overhaul

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Nov 15 06:38:35 PST 2011

On 11/15/11 6:09 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Andrei Alexandrescu"<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>  wrote in message
> news:j9tpa6$1icu$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> On 11/15/11 12:37 AM, Peter Alexander wrote:
>>> The current site is a wall of text that takes too long to tell me *what*
>>> D is. There needs to be some sort of "D at a glance" that explains what
>>> the language is without going into details.
>>
>> "The D programming language. Modern convenience. Multi-paradigm power.
>> Native efficiency."
>>
>> It's right there at the top in big letters.
>>

> That's not bad, but I think it's an absolute shame to loose this, which I've
> always thought was perfect (well, with "functional" added to the list of
> progrmming styles in paragraph 2):
>
> --------------
> D is a systems programming language. Its focus is on combining the power and
> high performance of C and C++ with the programmer productivity of modern
> languages like Ruby and Python. Special attention is given to the needs of
> quality assurance, documentation, management, portability and reliability.
>
> The D language is statically typed and compiles directly to machine code. It's
> multiparadigm, supporting many programming styles: imperative, object
> oriented, and metaprogramming. It's a member of the C syntax family, and its
> appearance is very similar to that of C++. Here's a quick list of features.
>
> It is not governed by a corporate agenda or any overarching theory of
> programming.
>
> FWIW, I *really* think that should stay there, right between "The D
> programming language. Modern convenience. Multi-paradigm power. Native
> efficiency." and the "Modern convenience" section.

But that adds more text to the "wall of text". How do we address that?

The point of the current design is to have three strong points, followed
by substantiation for each. It's simple and if anything the
substantiations are too wordy. Text like the above is not bad but should
be moved to a more literary introduction to the language.

Andrei