Website message overhaul

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Nov 15 17:07:11 PST 2011

On 11/15/11 2:41 PM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
> Am 15.11.2011 09:37, schrieb Peter Alexander:
>>
>> A quick example (could be better)
>>
>> "D is a multi-paradigm, type-safe, natively compiled programming
>> language with a focus on pragmatism. D programs run as fast as those
>> written in C or C++ without the tedium of manual memory management,
>> verbose syntax or unsafe semantics."
>>

> I like this (but maybe a short note that manual memory management and
> unsafe stuff is still possible).
>
> "The D programming language. Modern convenience. Multi-paradigm power.
> Native efficiency." however sounds too buzzwordy IMHO.
> Regardless of the actual words used: This style of pseudo sentences only
> consisting of an adjective and a noun reminds me of annoying advertising
> slogans (there probably is a technical term for this, but I'm no
> linguist). And three of them in a row (or 4, if your count "The D
> programming language") hurt.
>
> Two or three short sentences (in the style of Peter's suggestion) are
> still short enough that everybody reads them (maybe important parts
> could be emphasized for everybody who is too lazy to read whole
> sentences), contain more information and look more serious than a line
> of pseudo-sentences that sound like taken from a TV commercial.

I understand this objection, and how it reminding of hackneyed ads can
be annoying. I'd agree with if the slogan were inflated and insincere.
But it really is a brief rendering of the most prominent features of D.
If we go with a few sentences about D, any and all parts of those
sentences can easily be forgotten.

Andrei