newsgroup web viewer

bcs bcs at example.com
Tue Nov 15 20:38:06 PST 2011

On 11/15/2011 06:51 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> I've complained about the godawful web viewers for the newsgroup
> before, and wrote a little program to do a better job.
>
> But, I got distracted and didn't quite finish it. I didn't like
> how it looked primarily.
>
> Today, I dropped it into the skeleton of d-programming-language.org
> and now I pretty much like how it looks:
>

> http://arsdnet.net/d-web-site/nntp/get-thread?newsgroup=digitalmars.D&messageId=%3Cj9ps5n%2430nq%241%40digitalmars.com%3E&ordering=ByDate
>
> My goal is to present the newsgroup in a more web forum like way, so
> it's more comfortable to more users.
>

> Is there a lot of interest in this kind of thing among the community?

Very bluntly, the most noticeable difference (aside from pure style
issues) is that you have included the think I **HATE** the most about
Web Forums:

You have completely obscured the structure of the news groups. News
group (and e-mail) threads have a strong hierarchy to them that contains
a significant about of information that I use when viewing things. As
one example, when skimming threads, I often only look at sub trees that
involve particular authors. With your layout, this sort of information
is utterly lost.

It would be hard to overstate the strength of my option on this subject.
Given the option, I would use a crappy, slow, feature poor thick client
that does a half asses job of presenting hierarchy over virtual any
client, no matter how well done, that doesn't.