Website message overhaul

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 22:55:32 PST 2011

On 15/11/11 9:54 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/15/2011 1:31 PM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
>> Scala is also termed a "multi-paradigm programming language", see
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scala_(programming_language)
>
> Scala's multi-paradigms are OOP and functional.
>
> Yet it doesn't support function purity or immutable data. Having a
> syntax for lambdas doesn't make a language functional. I know few people
> share my opinion about that, but it seems that functional is used a lot
> as a buzzword.

Scala does support function purity (you can write pure functions) and
immutable data (you can create data that you don't write to), it just
doesn't statically check either of those things :-)

As you say, you know few people that share your opinion, so is that an
opinion we want to put forward on the front page?