newsgroup web viewer

Adam Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 07:53:36 PST 2011

Jonathan M Davis Wrote:
> Knowing the parent post of a particular post can be critical to understanding
> that post - especially when the parent post isn't quoted in  the reply.

Yeah, that's one of the few times I hit the o-t keys in my mail
reader to sort by thread.

Keep in mind that this information is always available! I just don't
like using it by default.

> Particularly with longer threads, I don't know how you could ever hope to
> follow them without having a properly threaded tree structure to the posts.

I've never had trouble following linear threads, even with hundreds
of posts.

But looking at a tree thread is almost impossible once it gets to
more than about ten posts without computer assistance, and even
then, it's so fractured that people repeat themselves a lot.

> Even gmail - which has threading of a
> sort - is completely inadequate to dealing with complex threads.

Gmail sucks on so many levels. Their interface is almost unusable.