newsgroup web viewer

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 14:30:41 PST 2011

Somedude Wrote:
> Some forums, like http://forum.hardware.fr, allow you to go back to the
> post you are responding to by clicking on the poster's name, and it also
> displays the number of responses to your own post.

I like that idea.

Something I've been going for here is to keep the listing uncluttered.
I don't like how on things like phpbb, there's all kinds of useless stuff
on every screen.

It's especially painful to browse it in something like lynx.

So, for this, I want to have just one link per post on the main listing -
the author's name - that goes to details.

Then, on the individual posts, you have additional links to reply,
navigate, etc.

Since the reply form is on the individual post, it maintains all the
thread headers for the traditional newsgroup viewers, without the
user having to realize it.