newsgroup web viewer

bcs bcs at example.com
Wed Nov 16 20:18:17 PST 2011

On 11/16/2011 08:04 AM, Adam Ruppe wrote:
> bcs Wrote:
>> Cut the tab size by about 60% and that's usable.
>
> OK
>
>> OTOH it will still end
>> up with a column size of -10 pt about the time threads get interesting.
>
> Another fundamentally broken aspect of tree views.

Not inherently. That is a fundamentally broken aspect of placing the
messages bodies in-line with a tree views.

>> And if anyone keeps more than about 3 layers of quoting you need to be
>> Tolstoy to be more than half the content.
>
> Well, the way I see it, if you're quoting more than two lines at a
> time, you're probably over-quoting.

Exactly.

> Remember, in both linear and tree views, getting back to the
> parent post is very easy,

How? I don't see any back links?

> and if someone is reading the reply, it
> is likely that he read the parent already anyway.

Only true for me about 40-50% of the time: "So-n-so responded to this
sub tree so there might be something interesting in it, so I will start
reading there."

>> I hit the N key or look for the bold titles.
>
> How is that N key implemented?
>
> boldEach(find!"a.timestamp>  b"(sort!"a.timestamp<  b.timestamp")
>     (messages));
>
> or something like that.

I don't really know, but I assume thunder-bird stores a bit somewhere
for each post indicating what I've opened. Anything based on time stamp
would be useless as I very rarely read thread in time order.