newsgroup web viewer

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Nov 17 07:46:43 PST 2011

"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ja2756$1j32$1 at digitalmars.com...
>I did some bug fixing tonight and changed some features.
>
> http://arsdnet.net/d-web-site/nntp/thread-index?newsgroup=digitalmars.D
>
> * The links are all working now. You can view individual posts.
>
> * It uses cookies to remember your preferences. Name, email, preferred
> view
> mode, etc.
>
> * Added collapsed views of the full thread.
>
> The code seems slow today.
>
> But:
>
> http://arsdnet.net/d-web-site/nntp/get-thread?newsgroup=digitalmars.D&messageId=%3Cmailman.959.1321474737.24802.digitalmars-d%40puremagic.com%3E&ordering=ByParent
>
> and there's an expand link to pull it all up, or you can click the
> individual posts.
>

> Read vs unread is done with browser history if you click individual
> posts.
>

> I'm going to try using this to do all my posts for a while.

Hmm, not bad. Personally, I would rename "expand"/"collapse" to "expand
all"/"collapse all", and replace the "Reply by..." links with a partial
tree-header view a la mail-archive. But other than that bikeshed paint,
that's not bad at all.

I did notice though that on some of the threads (such as this "newsgroup web
viewer" thread), that view results in a 500 error.

And just a minor stylistic thing, this page:

http://arsdnet.net/d-web-site/nntp/thread-index?newsgroup=digitalmars.D

could probably use some horizontal lines (maybe a light grey background on
every other row?) and a "vertical-align: top;" on each of the cells (If I
remember my CSS correctly...)

It's definitely starting to look pretty good.