newsgroup web viewer

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Nov 17 08:23:19 PST 2011

"Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:ja0uk6$26tb$1 at digitalmars.com...

> I really do not understand why people keep writing replacements for
> newsreaders that miss fundamentally useful aspects of it.

Probably because it's more than 6 months "old", and isn't "web 2.0" or
AJAX-y, and doesn't come with the word "cloud" plastered all over it.

But seriously, I think the three things that really hurt NNTP are:

1. There's no user account system.

2. There's no standardized URL system (Seriously?!? Why the fuck not?).

3. Corollary to #1: There's no roaming state: One computer will not know
what you have/haven't read on another computer. Basically NNTP could use an
equivalent to IMAP (but with the option of behaving more like POP3 when the
user desires).

4. With the exception of Opera, no major web browser comes automatically
bundled with a *real* (ie, non-web-based) NNTP client. (And it needs to be
fundamentally designed to be multi-user-friendly.)

The only reason we haven't needed #1 here is because NNTP is usually ignored
these days. If NNTP were bigger, that would become a bigger problem. And I'm
sure it's at least a perceived problem right now anyway.

Point #2 is just a real [idiotic] problem, period.

Point #3 is a problem when people are using, for instance, a public PC or a
friend's PC.

And #4 is, unfortunately, a big problem since the people managing public PCs
are almost always too dumb to know or care that the internet is more than a
web browser.

Points #3 and #4 are the main reasons all these web-based NNTP clients keep
popping up.

With all four points addressed, there would never be any good reason for
anyone to ever use anything but NNTP.