Website message overhaul

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Nov 19 07:32:00 PST 2011

"Paulo Pinto" <pjmlp at progtools.org> wrote in message
news:ja6mof$p0p$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Am 18.11.2011 22:40, schrieb Nick Sabalausky:
>>
>> For example, if you take a language that has no direct memory
>> manipulation,
>> you're never going to write, say, a codec or a software rasterizer that's
>> as
>> fast as what could be done in C/C++/D/etc. If you take a language that
>> does
>> have that ability, but it's awkward to use, then it *might* be possible,
>> but
>> it's not realistically going to happen (and if it does, it only means
>> someone just wasted a bunch of their time).
>>
>> The only way this will ever change is if somebody invents a *perfect*
>> optimizer, and that obviously hasn't happened yet.
>
> But does it matter if the application is already executing fast enough
> for its purposes?

That's not the issue though. The question was "Is the efficiency of native
code [necessarily] possible in C# "? "Good enough" is beside the point.

> I am a big defendent of polyglot programming, if the application still
> lacks the required execution after all algorithm changes have been tried
> then the hot spot can even be written in Assembly for what I care.
>
> Always use the right tool for the job.
>
> As for your example, my C# is a bit rusty but I'll have a go at it during
> the weekend.

It may very well be possible, but back when I encountered it a few years ago
I spent at least a couple days on it and gave up. Good luck though. If you
do manage to get it, I'd be very interested in seeing how. Hell, C# has had
some new versions since I left it, there might even be a new feature now
that would change things.