Website message overhaul

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Sat Nov 19 13:00:28 PST 2011

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 19:50:04 -0600
Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

Dear Andrei,

> Walter and I have been working on the website for a while. We want to
> crystallize a clear message of what the D programming language is.

you might remember be being quite interested in D in order to write
general desktop app using D+Qt, but then decided the time is not ripe
(yet) and went exploring Python + Cython.

Today I went to re-check what's new in the community and found out about
this longish thread...

> Feedback is welcome.

My humble opinion is that D is very fine language and the exact wording
on the site are not so important like this multi-paradigm discussion.

However, if you check e.g. Python's site (http://python.org/about/) you
can see the following:

- extensive standard libraries and third party modules for virtually every task

which is later supplemented with:

"Fans of Python use the phrase "batteries included" to describe the
standard library, which covers everything from asynchronous processing
to zip files. The language itself is a flexible powerhouse that can
handle practically any problem domain. Build your own web server in
three lines of code. Build flexible data-driven code using Python's
powerful and dynamic introspection capabilities and advanced language
features such as meta-classes, duck typing and decorators..."

Today I found out that e.g. gtkD is one man show, development of QtD is
mostly stalled...so my suggestion is not to focus so much on the
homepage blurb, but to honestly explain what is the status od D's
"batteries" and how long one is expected to wait to pick something from
the 'charger'.

The language itself is advancing very nicely, gdc & ldc are alive, gdc
might get into 4.7, but at the end, developer needs libraries for
"virtually every task ".

Although seeing the current state of QtD made me sad a bit, hearing
about application written using GtkD is encouraging.

btw, Haskell also has short intro:

"Haskell is a computer programming language. In particular, it is a
polymorphically statically typed, lazy, purely functional language,
quite different from most other programming languages."

Sincerely,
Gour

--
In this endeavor there is no loss or diminution,
and a little advancement on this path can protect