Website message overhaul

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 13:16:23 PST 2011

On 19/11/11 8:22 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 11/19/2011 08:33 PM, Bane wrote:
>> Peter Alexander Wrote:

>>> I agree with this 100%. It is true that a lot of advertised features in
>>> D simply do not work at all, and the fact that they don't work isn't
>>> documented anywhere except in the newsgroups.
>>>
>>> In addition to making it incredibly difficult to learn the language, it
>>> also dissuades people from writing tutorials. A couple of times I have
>>> started to write tutorials and stopped simply because the stuff I wrote
>>> didn't actually work (e.g. I'd write about selective imports, but then
>>> figure out that they don't work as advertised). I don't want to write
>>> tutorials that are filled with "D is awesome, you can do this... except
>>> you can't."
>>>
>>> Things that don't work simply shouldn't be mentioned in the docs. Put
>>> them on a "Work in progress" page or something so that people know what
>>> should be working, but don't advertise them as working features until at
>>> least one compiler supports them.
>>
>> Yup. Learning D is just too difficult comparing to most other popular
>> languages. My general feeling is that it is sloppy and too great
>> investment for one to get to know its powers mixed with
>> pain-in-the-ass quirks.
>>

> There is 'D' the language and 'DMD' the implementation. You confuse the
> two. The quirks you are talking about are DMD's, but the specification
> is that of D. DMD needs to be fixed, and that is what the 'core people'
> are working on.

You are right, but DMD is the reference implementation and as such
should implement everything in the language. Bugs are to be expected,
and you may even expect to see some of the esoteric corner cases of the
language unimplemented, but it is quite frustrating when many
fundamental features are simply unimplemented or don't work as designed.

If the reference implementation doesn't implement the language it claims
to implement then at the very least it should still be marked as an
alpha or beta version of the compiler, but that's not the case.

At the very, *very* least there should be a note on the DMD download
page that says that it is an unfinished implementation, with perhaps a
link to a list of major unimplemented features.