Website message overhaul

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Nov 19 17:00:00 PST 2011

On 11/19/2011 4:49 PM, Jeff Nowakowski wrote:
> On 11/19/2011 07:02 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>> If a language has all variables being immutable, then the functional
>> aspect of it is not something you can move away from
>
> This is just wrong:
>
> http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/manual003.html#toc8
>
> The whole point of OCaml is that it is NOT pure like Haskell. If you need to be
> imperative it has full support for it.

Since OCaml allows both mutable and immutable state, I stand corrected in
regards to OCaml. But my point still stands.

For example, Java has been called "multi-paradigm" because it supports OOP and
Imperative. But there's no getting away from OOP in Java. All data structures
are Objects. Even arrays are Objects. Hence, OOP in Java cannot be considered an
alternative paradigm for Java.