Phobos Wish List/Next in Review Queue?

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Sat Nov 19 23:47:53 PST 2011

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 22:02:33 -0500
dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote:

> 2.  Come up with a wish list of high-priority modules that Phobos is
> missing that would make D a substantially more attractive language
> than it is now.

That's  probably not for the Phobos, but having clear roadmap for the
GUI bindings projects (dwt2, gtkd, qtd, wxd,...) would definitely, imho,
make D more attractive language by allowing developers to jump into
writing GUI apps.

> *  Containers.  (AFAIK noone is working on this.  It's tough to get
> started because, despite lots of discussion at various times on this
> forum, noone seems to really know what they want.  Since the
> containers in question are well-known, it's much more a design
> problem than an implementation problem.)

+1

> *  Compression/archiving.  (Opening standard compressed/archived file
> formats needs to just work.  This includes at least zip, gzip, tar
> and bzip2.  Of course, zip already is available and gzip is supported
> by the zlib module but with a crufty C API.  At least gzip and bzip2,
> which are stream-based as opposed to file-based, should be handled
> via streams, which means that streams block compression/archiving.
> Also, since tar and zip are both file based, they should probably be
> handled by the same API, which might mean deprecating std.zip and
> rewriting it.)

+1

> *  std.database.  (Apparently Steve Teale is working on this.  This
> is a large, complicated project because we're trying to define a
> common API for a variety of RDBMSs.

+1

Sincerely,
Gour

--
A person who is not disturbed by the incessant flow of
desires — that enter like rivers into the ocean, which is