Website message overhaul, pass 2

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 05:47:31 PST 2011

> Thanks to all who provided feedback! I read again the entire thread,
> then made one more pass:
>
> http://d-programming-language.org/new/

Much better :-)

A few comments:

Can we please not use the term RAII? First, only C++ people know what it
means, and second, its expansion doesn't tell you what it does or what
it is used for. Just say something like "scoped deterministic memory
management" or something like that. I'm sure C++ people will link that
to RAII, and non-C++ people will have a better idea of what it means.

I think the point about the shebang line is unnecessary. It's a
certainly a nice feature, but doesn't feel important enough to me to
warrant being on the front-page trying to sell the language. Perhaps
something about version/debug blocks would be more appropriate as
they're something that everyone uses.

"Without preventing virtual machine approaches, D naturally compiles to
efficient native code." I would add onto the end of that "rivaling and
often bettering the runtime performance of raw C and C++ code." That's
what people really want to hear, and it doesn't hurt to be explicit
about it.

With this point:

     "The @safe, @trusted, and @system modular attributes allow the
programmer to best decide the safety/efficiency tradeoffs of a
particular application, and have the compiler check for consistency."

I'm not sure the reader can get much from that without knowing what
those attributes mean.