Website message overhaul, pass 2

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Nov 20 05:46:10 PST 2011

On Sunday, November 20, 2011 13:47:31 Peter Alexander wrote:
> > Thanks to all who provided feedback! I read again the entire thread,
> > then made one more pass:
> >
> > http://d-programming-language.org/new/
>
> Much better :-)
>
> A few comments:
>
> Can we please not use the term RAII? First, only C++ people know what it
> means, and second, its expansion doesn't tell you what it does or what
> it is used for. Just say something like "scoped deterministic memory
> management" or something like that. I'm sure C++ people will link that
> to RAII, and non-C++ people will have a better idea of what it means.

Making it a link to wikipedia should be plenty. The C++ will know what RAII
is, and anyone who's learning D should learn it. The combination of an
example, the brief explanation that's there, and a link to Wikipedia should be
plenty for people to be able to figure out what they need to know. And it _is_
a very important feature for those who know what it means.

- Jonathan M Davis