The future of std.compiler

Alex Rønne Petersen xtzgzorex at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 11:44:40 PST 2011

Hi,

I recently sent some pull requests to move std.compiler into
core.compiler. Sean Kelly raised the issue that druntime is very
compiler-specific (i.e. GDC and LDC both have their own druntime forks).
Given this, having it in druntime probably doesn't make a whole lot of
sense.

So, the question is, does the module serve any purpose in Phobos? The
documentation on version identifiers was updated recently with version
identifiers for the various compilers, so detecting different compilers
is already trivial. Having encapsulation around version identifiers in
Phobos is arguably rather pointless. On the other hand, the module also
provides compiler name and version, which I do not believe are defined
in all compilers (please correct me if I'm wrong!).

What does everyone think? Should we keep this module around or just
deprecate it?

- Alex