Website message overhaul, pass 2

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Nov 20 11:51:13 PST 2011

> Overall. It looks good. It's also more compact, which is probably a good
> thing. One thing that bothered me right off the bat though is "modeling power"
> in that my first reaction is "what kind of modeling power?" It feels to me like
> it needs an adjective in front of it. It's probably fine though - particularly
> since I can't think of what to put in front of it (high?). The thought behind
> it is solid, but I guess that the phrase is just a bit odd to me.

Keeping this in mind.

> Nitpick: "giving the best of the static and dynamic worlds" would be slightly
> better IMHO as "giving the best of both the static and the dynamic worlds."

Done.

> Nitpick: The + on the Example link is a nice improvement, but ideally it would
> change to a - when the example is visible. That might be more complicated than
> it's worth though. I don't know (since I'm not a web programmer).

Yes, that's part of the plan. Note that the "+" is a nice small Unicode
"+", and probably the "-" will be the small Unicode "-".

> Nitpick: "Best paradigm is to not impose..." sounds odd. Do you mean "The best
> paradigm..." or something else? Maybe it should be something more like "It is
> best to not impose one programming paradigm at the expense of others."

I wanted to put there a strong sentence a la "best organization is
disorganization". I thought "best paradigm is no paradigm" but that
would be too extreme.

> Suggestion: Make RAII in the text a link to RAII on wikipedia. Also, scope
> should probably be turned into a link to scope statements in the documenation.

Done.

> I really like the idea of having the prominent example rotate randomly from a
> list somewhere, but of course, that means that we need to come up with such a
> list, and coming up with good, concise examples like that generally seems to
> be difficult. If we can come up with even just a few though, it would still be a
> nice touch over having one, static example.

I'm sure we will. I wonder how I can superimpose on the code frame a
small text in the bottom right saying "[your code here]" linked to a
submission form. That way we advertise the contest right where the prize is!

> I find it interesting that whatever you did with the news section this time
> around actually shows up properly in Konqueror, whereas before it didn't
> (Konqueror is generally quite standards compliant, but that doesn't always
> translate to showing stuff correctly - especially with advanced web 2.0 kind of
> stuff).

I issued a window.stop() after the twitter code.

> Overall, it looks good to me. But from the previous comments, I think that
> others are far pickier than I am about the content (e.g. multi-paradigm was
> fine with me).

Thanks for your input!

Andrei