Website message overhaul, pass 2

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Sun Nov 20 15:43:19 PST 2011

> On 11/20/11 7:09 AM, Robert Clipsham wrote:
>> - The code sample at the top is terrible, the equivalent C is only a
>> couple of lines longer and it doesn't show off any of what makes D
>> better! Admittedly you're limited in what you can do here as the code
>> needs to be fairly understandable by non-D programmers, but what's there
>> is... Not good at all.
>
> I'd be curious how with only a couple of lines more you address in C
> lines of arbitrary length and proper error handling. Same goes about C++
> (in addition to the speed issue) - code that does the right thing and is
> not very slow is quite subtle and I doubt two out of five C++
> programmers know how to write it.

I don't have time to write up an example, however a C/C++ programmer
reading that code would have no idea any error handling was happening.

> I like that the main message is small enough to allow formatting in
> large font.

I personally don't find it very readable with it all being on one line,
I feel breaking it into two looks far nicer (I did try).

>> - convinience -> convenience
>
> Where?

No idea! :D

>> - I can't really fault the bullet points, they're a huge improvement.
>> - I have a reasonably large screen and can't see the news section
>> without scrolling. To me this means there is no news ;)
>
> I'm considering moving the news on the right-hand side.

I think it would be quite good to put it in the already existent sidebar
- as I've already mentioned, I don't see the sidebar unless I really
look for it (it looks too much like it's part of the background)... With
a bit of tweaking I think you could make it more noticeable (without
being intrusive) and have the twitter feed in there (thus saving
horizontal space for those with small screens).

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/