Website message overhaul, pass 2

Don nospam at nospam.com
Mon Nov 21 01:57:37 PST 2011

On 20.11.2011 09:40, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Thanks to all who provided feedback! I read again the entire thread,
> then made one more pass:
>
> http://d-programming-language.org/new/
>
> I didn't make technical/aesthetic changes (JS/noJS, placement of news,
> links to secondary pages etc) so when providing additional feedback
> please focus on the core message.
>
> There are significant changes of content: some keywords are different,
> text is shorter, no more "community" section (probably it'll go on a
> different page).
>
> There's a prominent example at the top. I'm thinking to rotate that
> randomly, and pick examples out of an always-running contest.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

First, a comment. I like the word "control" in the first line. Along
with "pragmatic" it's IMHO one of the key themes of D.
If asked for a slogan for D, I'd say, "Regain control with D".

Consider replacing the "power" title with "control". Everybody claims
power, far fewers languages claim control.

"The best paradigm is to not impose one at the expense of others"
I think the underlying idea, is that each paradigm is good for solving
particular kinds of problems, but poor for others. I'm not quite sure
how to word this, something like, "The best programming paradigm depends
on the problem domain", or "No single paradigm is optimal for all
problem domains".

As others said, the word "naturally" here is a bit funny:
"D compiles naturally to efficient native code."
How about:
"D compiles directly to efficient native code."