Website message overhaul, pass 2

Adam Richardson simpleshot at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 13:05:02 PST 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>wrote:

> On Monday, November 21, 2011 13:35:21 Jimmy Cao wrote:

> > > Section header.
> >
> > This is an urgent fix of utmost grammatical importance:
> >
> > The D programming language. Modern convenience. Modeling power. Native
> > efficiency. ->  The D Programming Language: Modern Convenience, Modeling
> > Power, and Native Efficiency
> >
> > A dash in place of the colon would also work.  A section header is a
> title,
> > so capitalize accordingly.
>
> 1. It's odd to call the header on the top of the page something other than
> title IMHO, but it's a matter of semantics, I suppose.
>
> 2. Regardless of that, I would argue that section headers _are_ titles and
> should follow the same rules with regards to capitalization.
>
> Also, it should probably be a colon after "The D Programming Language"
> rather
> than a period. It makes more sense grammatically.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Insisting that titles be capitalized to match typical print publication
conventions is rather old school in terms of web development, and D is
anything but old school :) Rather, the style guide for the site should be
implemented consistently site-wide, and the capitalization scheme (which
CAN require rules such as those outlined by the *The Chicago Manual of Style
*, but, again, does not have to) should be addressed in the style guide:

http://styleguide.yahoo.com/editing/treat-abbreviations-capitalization-and-titles-consistently/capitalization

Styling depends on *what something is* and *where it is *in the flow of the
page. A heading in an aside might be styled in sentence case as opposed to
the same content appearing within the main header tag of a page, which
might be title case. As long as the D website consistently follows the
style choices laid out for the site, all will be well :)

That said, the main header could benefit from the colon as pointed out by
others, and the tagline could be improved. Steve Krug provides some great,
quick insights on what makes a great tagline:
http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Make-Me-Think-Usability/dp/0321344758

Adam