Doom3 (id tech 4) port/binding in D ?

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 08:16:40 PST 2011

Hi,

I want to suggest a project to the community. Doom3 source code has just
been released, and I think we may want to do a port in D. Here are the
reasons :
1/ I think D is suitable and pertinent for video games.
2/ This would make a solid code base to promote D.
3/ Id software is very popular, and porting one of their engine is free
advertisement for D.
4/ The build system for doom engine is scons, and it support D too.
5/ The code base is an high quality one. (for exemple, the _t suffix is
used to differenciate what we call struct and classes in D - and that
has no difference in C++ except in the usage you make of it).
6/ It's an interesting project.
7/ Many people in the D community are interested in video game projects.
8/ Doom's story take place on mars, phobos and deimos (well and on
earth, but who care ?).

In addition, this is a good occasion to produce some code for deimos and
can enlight us on D future evolutions backed with solid fact. On my
knowledge, such a big project (big in size, but also in technicity)
don't exist in D yet.

Anyway, don't expect this to be easy. We are talking here about 500 000
lines of C++ (not including headers). And the code is performance critical.

We may have 2 approachs : a complete port or a binding (so translation
of doom's headers in D + some glue code between D and C++ - which isn't
as easy as it seems).

This is definitively not a one man job, but I'm sure we have some
skilled dev here and we all want to promote D. If some of you do think
that it's a good idea and want to spend some time on it (this is
definitively a critical point).

I'm definitively in. And you ?