Lazy evaluation

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Nov 23 10:05:28 PST 2011

On Wednesday, November 23, 2011 18:41:46 Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 12:53 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > This basic idea was discussed a couple of months back, and it was
> > determined that it was overly complicated for very little gain.
>
> I strongly disagree.

Well, you're free to disagree, but that's essentially what the discussion
resulted. And glancing at the thread ( http://www.mail-
archive.com/digitalmars-d at puremagic.com/msg65324.html ), it looks like you
posted a couple of times in it, so I'd expect you to be at least somewhat
aware of what was discussed in it. It's nice in theory, but there are a number
of complications for what most people consider to be a minor gain. And for the
folks who really don't like transitive const, it doesn't go anywhere near far
enough, since they want full-on caching with const, not just lazy evaluation,
which just isn't going to happen.

- Jonathan M Dav