Phobos Wish List/Next in Review Queue?

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 19:21:47 PST 2011

On 11/23/2011 9:26 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/19/2011 7:02 PM, dsimcha wrote:
>> * Streams. (Another item where the bottleneck is mostly at the design
>> level and
>> people not really knowing what they want.)
>
> I'm not sure what the purpose of streams would be, now that we have ranges.

Right.  As I mentioned in a previous post buried deep in this thread, I
think streams should just be a flavor of ranges that have most or all of
the following characteristics:

1.  Live in std.stream.

2.  Oriented toward I/O.

3.  Heavy use of higher order ranges/stacking for things like
compression/decompression and encryption/decryption.

4.  Mostly focused on input ranges as opposed to random
access/forward/bidirectional, since this is the best model for data from
a network or stdin.